Monday, February 27, 2006

Diaspora of the Self

The "post-modern condition", by way of existentialism and social phenomena, seems to have created a kind of diaspora of the self. Now is an important time to reflect on this migration, particularly regarding the aspects of the self that have moved online. There is a culture there/here in which we, like any immigrant, are enveloped and which we often take on. This self is influenced by social exchanges including the sharing of music, art, information, and political views. It is also influenced by and in some ways determined by commercial interests. Market research, browsing patterns, psychographic profiles, and database construction contribute to a new phrenology that tells us who we are, what we need and, who we should be. In a sense, many parts of me live in a database. This, in itself, is not frightening to me. What is disconcerting is that I do not know what portions of myself where left at the gates of that database, and I do not know the ways in which this truncated or aberrant version of myself will return home to me. It seem that many of the forces that construct the online self remain invisible. Uncovering these influences, whether they are strategic or passive, is essential for maintaining some sense of personal agency.

1 Comments:

Blogger earlyadopter said...

Its scary to me too, but one thing that makes me like how things are going is the extent to which some of my favorite things about humans aren't left at the gates of the technology-- we take with us our interests and most importantly our conections to other people- and if you read between the lines, our feelings about each other too- a 2-way conversation is a validation of the humanity of both parties despite the intermediating technology and there is a lot of that going on now all the time- and those conversations leave tracks throught the databases... i'm heavily influenced in my thinking here by David Weinberger in small pieces loosely joined which i blog about here.

Friday, March 03, 2006 12:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home